Sunday, March 11, 2012

Painted candles


One of the projects for the wedding is to paint candles to use in the centerpieces for the tables. Because of the vintage theme, I wanted to have candles with a lace pattern. I couldn't find any to buy, so I came up with the idea of using paper doilies as a pattern to "stencil" the candles. I have lots of packages of paper doilies so that wasn't a problem. My materials for this project include: the candles (I'm using ivory), stencil brushes, paper doilies, alcohol, Alizarin Crimson Americana acrylic paint, and Shimmer Mod Podge.


My first step was to wipe the candle with alcohol. This removes the oils on the candle and allows the paint to adhere better.

Then I wrapped the doily around the candle and taped it on the edges so it wouldn't slip as I was stenciling.


Then I started stenciling the candle with the paint until it was covered. I didn't worry about getting even coverage because I actually like an uneven look.


I immediately - carefully - removed the paint-covered doily from the candle. I didn't want to leave it on because I was afraid it would smear or dry to the candle and would be hard to remove. The doily I used was not large enough to go around the entire candle so after the paint had dried, I cut a doily in half and taped it on the area that hadn't been painted and then stenciled it. Although it doesn't match up perfectly, it doesn't look bad.


I also have some heart-shaped doilies, so I decided to do a doily heart on some of the candles. I'm thinking about adding a monogram to the inside of the couple's last name.


My last step in the process is to apply Shimmer Mod Podge over the paint once it has dried. Not only does this give the candle a lovely gold shimmer, but it protects the paint finish.


I am beginning to see all my projects coming together for the wedding.

2 comments:

  1. JewelryByDorothy.etsy.comMarch 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM

    Mary, I love your idea for the candles! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dorothy.

    I should add that I tested a candle to make sure the paint wouldn't cause a fire. It was fine using the Americana paint which is water-based and the mod podge which is non-flammable.

    ReplyDelete