Saturday, June 22, 2013

DIY Growth Chart

Tutorial for making a teddy bear growth chart

Every nursery needs a growth chart to record the height of the child as he grows.  So, I knew I wanted to buy one or make my own in a teddy bear theme.  I looked around and didn't see one that really took my fancy, but I did find a DIY growth chart here that I knew I could adapt.  I liked the jute webbing she used, because it's very suited to the colors I'm using as well as looking masculine.  I couldn't find any locally though, so I had to order it from an Etsy seller.

My first step was to measure and cut it to the length I wanted.  Since 6 feet seems to be the standard, that's what I went with, but I left 6" off the bottom for clearance of a baseboard, etc.  Then I turned the top and bottom under and glued them, again using my favorite Aleene's Fabric Fusion.  I bought a curtain grommet and added it to the top for hanging the growth chart.  Once I had that done, I started marking feet and inches on the jute with a blue sharpie.


Instead of using stencils for the numbers as was done in the tutorial, I found some red felt numbers with adhesive backs.  These were so easy to attach.


Since I wanted to have a teddy bear chart, I was fortunate to find a roller at Hobby Lobby that has paw prints on it.  I knew I could use paint on the roller to add some bear tracks to the growth chart in between the numbers.


Adding the bear tracks was a little tricky.  I tried not to make more than four tracks each time, since that was how many paws were on the roller, but I did go over a little several times.  And sometimes I had to go over the paint again with my sponge brush to fill in gaps where the paint was thin.  Actually, it struck me while I was doing this that I could have used two different size of the round sponge brushes to make the paws instead of buying the roller, one for the foot and a smaller one for the toes.


When I finished the paws, I added some appliques.  There's a bear in a baseball cap at the top and a baseball at the bottom.  And although the baby can't be measured yet, I have some bear safety pins and key tags on which his height can be recorded whenever he gets to that point.

Tutorial for making a teddy bear growth chart

2 comments:

  1. Mary, this is so cute. I love how you tied in the bear tracks and baseball theme from the embroidery hoop art. The red numbers also tie it all together and stand out beautifully. It is really just so adorable for a boy's nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dorothy. I love the idea of a growth chart that can be taken everywhere they go.

    ReplyDelete