Sunday, June 16, 2013

DIY Embroidery Hoop Wall Art for Nursery


I love the embroidery hoop wall art that I see on Pinterest and everywhere else these days and fortunately, my niece does too.  So, I decided to make some for the baby's nursery.  I wanted to use different fabrics so I found someone on Etsy who was destashing some fabric remnants in exactly the colors I needed, primarily red and blue.
Image
I also found someone on Etsy selling a lot of embroidery hoops in different sizes and shapes.  Purchasing these was more economical than buying the hoops separately.Image
I placed a piece of fabric in the hoop and pulled it as tight as possible before turning the screw at the top to close it even tighter.  The outside piece of the hoop would rise a little as I was tightening the screw but I would just push it down and that helped the fabric go even more taut.
Image
Then, I trimmed the fabric around the edge of the hoop, leaving about three quarters of an inch of the fabric all the way around.
Image
The fabric would be glued to the inside back of the hoop.  But to give the embroidery hoops a finished and professional look, I needed to buy some felt and insert that into the back also.  My first step in that process was to draw an outline of the embroidery hoop on the felt and cut it out.
Image
Image
I then glued the fabric hanging over the side onto the inner rim of the embroidery hoop on the back.  You could use a glue gun to do this, but I don't like glue guns so I used Aleene's Fabric Fusion.
Image
Using my fingers, I pushed the fabric down in place on the glue.  This got a little messy because I ended up with glue on my hands.
Image
Then I put the piece of felt into the back of the hoop and pushed the edges over the top of the fabric that I had just glued into place.  If the fabric was thin, the glue I had used for the fabric was usually enough to hold the felt in place.  But if the fabric was thicker, I had to add some additional glue to hold the felt in place.  Just be careful not to overuse the glue.  It will bleed through to the fabric on the front of the piece.
Image
I used different fabrics on each piece and loved how they looked together.
Image
But I wanted to personalize them even more.  If you remember from my previous post, I am using a teddy bear theme in the nursery and am also throwing some baseball into the mix for the father.  I know you probably can't tell, but the light blue fabric in one of the hoops has teddy bears.  So, I bought some teddy bear and baseball appliques and added them to the hoops.  Even though the appliques were iron-on, I glued them on.  I also added an applique for the letter of the baby's first name.

These will go above the crib and can be left close together or spread out more on the wall.


2 comments:

  1. Mary, I love the embroidery hoop wall art you made and especially the creative way you personalized the hoops. So adorable. Thanks for the instructions! Your creations are always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dorothy! I think a nursery is more fun than a wedding. I thought a boy's nursery would be challenging, but it hasn't been too bad especially since I have found some wonderful items for it from Etsy.

    ReplyDelete