Saturday, June 8, 2013

Soda crate table


I know it's been awhile since I last posted but it seems I never have enough time for everything I need and want to do.  Now, I'm occupied with decorating a nursery.  Before my niece was even engaged to be married, I had started collecting items for both a girl's and a boy's nursery, because she told me that I could decorate her baby's nursery.  So, I was really excited to hear that she and her husband were expecting their first baby in November.  Once they knew the baby would be a boy, I started all my nursery projects.
When I first began collecting items for a boy, I decided to go with a teddy bear theme.  The main reason for that was because I found the cutest baby quilt by an Etsy seller and knew I had to have it.  I have also added other bear items from Etsy sellers including a bear rug and a chenille bear.  These will be perfect in the nursery.
Image
Because my niece loves vintage, I am able to add some vintage to the nursery.  One of my projects is a table made with a soda crate.  I also plan to hang an old crate on the wall as a shelf.
For this project, I needed a crate - which I already had - and a table with a top which was roughly the same size as the crate.  I found a cheap one at a flea market.
Image
Image
As I'm using a lot of primary colors in the nursery - red, blue, yellow - I wanted to paint the table base in blue.  I decided not to paint the top of the table since it would be attached to the crate, so I taped off the top.
Image
I bought a blue spray paint and painted the table in my garage, which turned out to be a bit of a mess.  My garage was covered in blue dust when I finished.
Image
Image
After I had let the paint dry, it was time to attach the crate to the tabletop.  I decided to glue it on, because I didn't want to bother with a drill and screws.  I used Liquid Nails and put some on the bottom of the crate.
Image
Then I turned the table upside down and centered it on the crate.  It was much easier to do it this way than to try to center the crate on the table when it was right side up.
Image
I put some weights on it to hold it in place while the glue dried.  Once the glue was finished drying, I turned the table right side up.  Because the bottom of the crate on the inside was in rough shape, I bought a cheap plastic place mat and trimmed it down to fit the inside.
Image
Image

No comments:

Post a Comment