Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A love of vintage quilts

I love quilts – and obviously, I’m not the only one.  Every time I go to an estate sale, it seems there are one or more quilts in the house.  And the more age the quilt shows, the more I love it.  There is nothing like the softness of a vintage quilt.  You just know it has been well loved by its owner.  Some of the vintage quilts I see are crudely stitched, but beautiful nonetheless, and some have such fine stitching that I have to look really closely to see that it was indeed hand sewn.

I have a quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was a child.  It’s packed away now but I used it in my room for many years and will pass it on to a family member at some point.  Sometimes I wonder how family members can give up what I consider to be a family heirloom but maybe that’s because we don’t have many heirlooms in my family and I’ve always envied those who do.  To be able to connect with previous generations through those pieces of history has to be so satisfying.

I’ve added a few quilts to my Zibbet shop recently.  I found a hand sewn crazy quilt at an estate sale and almost kept it for myself.  It is not Victorian, but is lovely nevertheless.  There’s nothing to match a Victorian crazy quilt, in my opinion.  The amount of work that went into the embroidery and the colors and fabrics that were chosen created works of art that are unsurpassed.  But the crazy quilt I have has all the lovely bright colors, and I love that the maker used old ties mixed in with velvets and silks.  The quilt would fit a twin bed or would be wonderful as a coverlet on the back of a couch or daybed.

Vintage crazy quilt

Another quilt I have added to my shop is thicker and would work on either a twin or full bed.  The colors in it are primarily blue and yellow but there are also some pinks and reds.  The hand sewn quilt is in really great condition.  There is some fading on the back and a couple of stains on the front but you have to look really hard to see those.  

Vintage blue and yellow quilt
 
I have a handmade pink quilt which would look perfect in a girl’s room.  It has morning glories embroidered in pink, purple and blue.  

Vintage embroidered pink quilt
 
And I think this pink pajama bag which I also have listed in my shop would look perfect sitting on the quilt.  I had a red pajama bag just like this when I was a child many, many years ago.

Vintage pink pajama bag
 
I also have a couple of quilts which could be used for young children or babies.  One has bunnies appliquéd on it.  This quilt is so soft.  The other quilt has nursery rhyme pictures embroidered over stencils.  The nursery rhymes are Jack Horner, Boy Blue, Red Riding Hood, Bo Peep, Miss Muffet, and Peter Peter.  Both quilts are adorable.

Vintage bunny quilt





Vintage nursery rhyme quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment