Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fenton Charleton glassware

I loved Fenton glassware long before QVC made it a household name.  Members of my family have been collectors for many, many years.  However, I really had not paid much attention to some of the historical aspects of the glassware until recently when I spotted a vase at a flea market which looked like Fenton but was painted differently than anything I had previously seen. I bought it, because the price was right.
When I got home, I started researching to see if I could find a similar piece.  I was fortunate to find one that had sold on ebay which led me to the discovery that Fenton had supplied blanks in the 1940s and 50s to another company – Abels, Wasserberg & Co.  AWCO, in turn, handpainted the pieces supplied by Fenton and called this their “Charleton” line.
There’s a super website which has pictures of many Fenton pieces which were handpainted by AWCO.  The site also has a book available for purchase for anyone wanting to know more about the Charleton line.
This is the vase that I found at the flea market.  I am selling it in my Etsy shop.  The design on the vase is called Magenta Leaves and has gold highlights.
 Image
Just recently, I found another Fenton piece that I’m sure is part of AWCO’s Charleton line.  It is also for sale in my Etsy shop.  It's a lovely cranberry coin dot cruet and has gold highlights as well as pink flowers.
 Image
I have another Fenton piece in my shop that I think might be Charleton, although I’m less sure about it than I am about the other two pieces.
Image

2 comments: