Sunday, November 27, 2011

Simple Christmas mantel


This year, I decided not to put up my Christmas tree.  But, that didn't mean I was canceling Christmas altogether.  I wanted to decorate my mantel but keep it simple.

I have a collection of Koestel wax angels in a variety of sizes and colors and usually use the smaller ones as ornaments on my tree.  Since I wasn't putting up a tree, I thought I would use them all on my mantel.

The Koestel angels were first created by Ami Koestel in Germany in the 1930s for her friends and family.  Eventually, the angels were produced by the Koestel company.  My angels are all vintage and most have Western Germany stickers still on them.

I replaced the picture above my mantel with an antique mirror I had hanging in the hall.  I hung a star from the top and draped vintage red and gold mercury bead garlands around the sides.  After arranging the angels, I added vintage gold ornaments in between.  I have individual tea lights set among the angels to light up the display at night.  Then, I bought "snow" and dropped it on the angels and ornaments.

Even though the display is simple, I love it - mainly because of the beauty of the Koestel angels.




No comments:

Post a Comment